Ingredients for Cupcakes
– 1 1/2 cups (300 g) granulated sugar
– 1 (3 oz.) package of strawberry flavored Jell-O
– 1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter, softened
– 1/2 cup (120 g) sour cream, at room temperature
– 5 large egg whites, room temperature
– 3 cups plus 3 tablespoons (366.5 g) cake flour
– 1 tablespoon (4 g) baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon (2.8 g) salt
– 1 cup (240 g) buttermilk, room temperature
– 1 tablespoon (4.2 g) pure vanilla extract
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
– 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly chilled
– 4 oz. cream cheese, slightly chilled
– 6 cups (750 g) powdered sugar, measured and then sifted
– 3 tablespoons (43.3 g) heavy whipping cream
– 1 teaspoon (4.2 g) pure vanilla extract
– Pinch of salt
* This buttercream recipe makes enough to fill and cover your cake. If you want to add additional piping, you’ll want to make an extra 1/2 batch.
Directions for Cupcakes
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners
2. In a medium size bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, Jell-O, and sugar for about 2 to 3 minutes, until light and fluffy
4. With the mixer on medium speed, gradually add the egg whites, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl between each addition.
5. Add the sour cream and vanilla. Mix for another 2 minutes on medium speed. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl.
6. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again on low for another 20 seconds.
7. Spread batter evenly into each prepared cupcake liner, filling each about 3/4 full. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans (about 16 ounces of batter in each pan). I used three 8-inch pans and my cooking time was 22 minutes. Baking time should be between 10-15 minutes. To see if they are done gently tap the top of your cake (shouldn’t jiggle, but instead, bounce back up when done).
8. Let cool in your pans for 10 minutes and then invert onto wire cooling racks until completely cooled.
Directions for Cream Cheese Frosting
1. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and cream cheese and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
2. With the mixer on low, gradually add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until incorporated.
3. Keeping the mixer on low, add the cream, vanilla and salt.
4. Turn the mixer to medium and beat the frosting for 3-5 minutes, or until it is light in color (almost white) and texture.
5. To remove air bubbles from the frosting, use a wooden spoon to stir and push out the air bubbles.
1. Allow to cool completely
2. Pipe cream cheese frosting on top of cupcakes and strew chopped strawberries on top of each